These fudgy m&m brownies are perfect for M&M candy lovers! You only need simple ingredients and one bowl to make them. They have perfect crinkle tops and delicious chocolate flavor in every single bite!
These m&m brownies are based on my super popular espresso brownies, (minus the coffee)! These homemade brownies are easy to make and packed with enough chocolate flavor to satisfy any chocolate craving. They are packed with colorful M&M's and chocolate chips!
why you'll love these m&m brownies
- The only thing better than a classic brownie is a brownie with M&M's! These m&m brownies are full of M&M's and dark chocolate chips, just like my mini m&m cookies.
- They are made with both melted chocolate and dark cocoa powder, making them extra fudgy brownies that stay moist and chewy for days!
- Switch up the colorful M&M's for a special occasion or the holiday season.
- Like my cookie butter brownies, you only need a few simple ingredients and one bowl to make them, no electric mixer or fancy equipment is required.
ingredient notes & substitutions
Cocoa powder: This recipe uses Dutch-processed cocoa powder, which gives these m&m brownies a richer and more intense dark chocolate flavor. You can substitute regular cocoa powder if you don't have any on hand.
Brown sugar: This recipe calls for light brown sugar but dark brown sugar can be substituted.
Egg yolk: To make chewy brownies, there is an extra egg yolk added to the brownie batter. This makes them chewy and fudgy instead of cakey, similar to my brownies with Oreos!
Chocolate chips: The best brownies always have extra chocolate added, which is why there are extra chocolate chips in the batter! This recipe calls for semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bar but you could also use dark chocolate chips.
Find the full ingredient measurements and instructions in the recipe card below!
Before you start, line an 8x8 square pan with parchment paper to hang off all four sides for easy removal.
Step 1: Whisk the sugars and egg together. In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, white sugar, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract until combined.
Step 2: Melt the chocolate and butter. Melt the chocolate chips and butter together in the microwave or on the stove. Once smooth, whisk in the cocoa powder.
Step 3: Whisk in the chocolate mixture. Stream the melted butter and chocolate into the bowl, whisking until just combined.
Step 4: Fold in the dry ingredients. Fold the all-purpose flour, espresso powder, and salt into the batter until almost combined and a few flour streaks remain.
Step 5: Fold in the chocolate. Fold the M&M's and chocolate chips into the batter until just combined.
Step 6: Bake! Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle the top of the batter with extra M&M's. Then bake!
Let the brownies cool completely on a wire cooling rack before cutting them into 16 servings.
expert baking tips
- Use a kitchen scale. Baking with a scale is much more accurate than cup measurements. To convert this recipe, click the "metric" button next to the ingredients title on the recipe card. If you do not have a scale, use a spoon to fluff the flour first, then spoon it into your measuring cup.
- Cool the brownies. Warm brownies are very difficult to cut and will fall apart into a gooey mess. I know it's so hard to wait but it's worth it!
- Don't overbake them. Insert a toothpick into the center of the brownies. It should NOT come out clean but be covered in a few moist crumbs. This keeps them soft and fudgy!
Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
You can freeze the brownies cut or uncut in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 1 month.
Definitely! You could use peanut butter M&M's (similar to my m&m monster bars), almond M&M's, or any of their other specialty flavors!
- 10 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup + ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup dark cocoa powder
- ½ cup dark brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup + 1 tbsp all-purpose flour *see notes below for measuring*
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup m&ms
- ⅓ cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate bar or chocolate chips
- Line a square metal 8x8 baking pan (see notes below) with parchment paper to cover all four sides. Then preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C.
- Melt the butter and chocolate chips together until smooth. Then whisk in the cocoa powder. Set aside.10 tablespoon unsalted butter, ⅔ cup + ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, ¼ cup dark cocoa powder
- Whisk the sugars, eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla extract. Then whisk in the melted butter and chocolate mixture until just combined.½ cup dark brown sugar packed, ½ cup granulated sugar, 2 large eggs, 1 large egg yolk, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Fold in the flour, espresso powder, and salt until almost combined. Then fold in the M&M's and chocolate until just combined.⅔ cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon espresso powder, ½ teaspoon salt, ¾ cup m&ms, ⅓ cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate bar or chocolate chips
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan and top with more M&M's. Bake for 33-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out covered in a few moist crumbs.
- Let the pan cool completely on a wire rack before removing, then cut into 16 brownies and enjoy!
- Store leftover M&M brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
The calorie information provided for the recipe is an estimate. The accuracy of the calories listed is not guaranteed.