M&M chocolate chip cookies are soft and chewy cookies packed with mini M&Ms and mini chocolate chips. They're so easy to make in one bowl with just 10 ingredients!
You know that I love a fun twist on a classic chocolate chip cookie recipe (like my espresso cookies!) but occasionally I truly enjoy the classic.
I used my birthday cake cookies as the base of this recipe, subbed out the rainbow sprinkles for chocolate chips and M&Ms, and they turned out perfect!
If you love M&M recipes, you must try my super popular Monster Bars!
why you'll love these m&m chocolate chip cookies
- The only thing better than M&M cookies is M&M cookies with chocolate chips. One bite will satisfy any chocolate craving, just like my M&M brownies!
- They have soft centers and perfectly crispy edges like my miso cookies.
- This is a great recipe for any holiday season. You can substitute the multi-colored M&M's with shades of pink for Valentine's Day, red and green for Christmas; the ideas are endless!
- You can make this recipe in one bowl with simple pantry ingredients. They turn out perfect every single time!
ingredient notes & substitutions
M&m candies: I tested these M&M chocolate chip cookies with regular and mini M&MS and found that the mini ones worked best. You get more of them in the dough which means more in every bite!
Chocolate chips: This recipe uses mini semi-sweet chocolate chips but you can easily substitute them with regular sized chocolate chips! You could also use chopped chocolate bar (like in my nutella cookies) or chocolate chunks.
Brown sugar: I prefer light brown sugar for this recipe, but dark brown sugar can be used as well.
Full ingredient measurements and instructions can be found in the recipe card below!
Before you start, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
Step 2: Mix in the wet ingredients. Mix in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract on low speed until just combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
Step 3: Fold in the dry ingredients. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until almost combined. There should be some dry flour streaks remaining.
Step 4: Mix in the chocolate. Fold in the mini chocolate chips and mini m&ms until everything is just combined and there are no more flour streaks.
Step 5: Scoop the cookie dough. Scoop the dough and place them on the prepared baking sheet. For cookies that melt evenly, roll each one between your palms to make it perfectly round.
Then top with extra M&Ms and chocolate chips. Chill the tray of cookie dough balls in the freezer for at least 3-4 hours, overnight is best!
Step 6: Bake! Bake the frozen cookie dough spaced 2-3 inches apart. Keep the rest of the dough in the freezer while you bake the first tray.
When the edges are lightly golden brown and the centers are puffy but still underbaked, remove and cool on a wire cooling rack. Enjoy your m&m chocolate chip cookies!
expert baking tips
- Use a kitchen scale. Baking with a scale is much more accurate than cup measurements. To convert this recipe, click the "metric" button next to the ingredients title on the recipe card. If you do not have a scale, use a spoon to fluff the flour first, then spoon it into your measuring cup.
- Don't skip the chilling time! While many recipes have zero chill time, this step is important for flavor development, texture improvement, and reduced spreading. All of these contribute to a cookie that is tender and well-rounded in flavor!
- Make thicker cookies. If you love large bakery-style cookies like my toffee chocolate cookies, use a large 3 tablespoon cookie scoop and add 1-3 minutes to the bake time.
- Use room temperature butter. Most cookie problems stem from incorrect butter temperature. I like to stick a thermometer into my stick of butter; it should read between 64-68 F.
storage & freezing
Store leftover M&M chocolate chip cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days.
To freeze the cookie dough, place the frozen dough balls into a freezer bag or airtight container. They can be frozen for up to 3 months!
Yes, chilling time is important for thick cookies and the best flavor. For a quick chill time, freeze the scooped dough for 15-20 minutes or until the dough feels completely solid.
You can, although I don't recommend it. I found that using regular-sized ones doesn't allow the cookies to spread properly because there are so many in the dough.
There are a few reason why cookies spread too much when baking. Butter that is too warm and not chilling the dough long enough are the most common!
other chocolate chip cookie recipes you'll love
If you tried this or any other recipe on my website, please let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you! Also, please leave a star rating while you're there! You can also tag me on Instagram or Facebook so I can check it out!
M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 12 tablespoon unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour *see notes for measuring flour*
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup mini m&ms plus extra for the tops
- ¾ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips plus extra for the tops
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Cream the softened butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar together for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.12 tablespoon unsalted butter, ¼ cup granulated sugar, 1 cup light brown sugar
- Mix in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract until just combined.1 large egg, 2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 large egg yolk
- Mix in the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder until almost combined and there are still some dry flour streaks. Then fold in the chocolate chips and M&Ms.2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ⅓ cup mini m&ms, ¾ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Scoop the dough into 2 tablespoons balls and place them on the prepared baking sheet. For cookies that bake evenly, roll each one between your palms until round. Then press more M&Ms and chocolate chips to the tops of each cookie dough ball.
- Chill the tray of cookie dough balls in the freezer for 3 hours minimum, overnight is best for the best flavor and texture.
- Then preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C. Bake the cookies spaced 2-3 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking tray for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are light golden brown.
- Let the tray cool on a wire cooling rack before removing them, then enjoy!
The calorie information provided for the recipe is an estimate. The accuracy of the calories listed is not guaranteed.