This brown butter espresso brownies recipe is hands down the best brownie recipe PERIOD.
If you love soft, fudgy, nutty, brownies and espresso, you're in for a TREAT!!!! I'm going to show you just how easy it is to make these espresso brownies with or WITHOUT a stand mixer!
How to Make Brown Butter
Browning butter is super easy! It just involves you, some butter, a hot pan, and 5-6 minutes of your time.
The process of 'browning butter' is to cook the butter long enough to turn the milk solids brown while cooking off any water present in the butter. These brown milk solid bits give our butter an incredibly nutty flavor that mends so well with the chocolate.
- Unwrap 2 sticks of unsalted butter and place them both in a medium sauté pan. Its best to use a light colored pan so you can see when the butter has browned.
- Turn the heat on medium high. As the butter melts it will start to crackle and bubble. The butter will also get super foamy. Turn down the heat slightly to medium heat and stir occasionally while it cooks for 5-6 minutes.
- You will know when the butter is ready when it smells nutty and has a slight amber color. You will also be able to see the brown milk solid bits at the bottom of the pan.
Brown butter can be used right away like in this recipe or it can be cooled and then stored in a container in the fridge! Just reheat before using.
Seasonal Dress-ups for the Espresso Brownies
These brownies are so fun to dress up for seasonal occasions!
- Top them with a drizzle of extra chocolate and some crushed peppermint candies for Christmas.
- Melt some mini marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl and use your fingers to place 'webs' on top of the brownies.
Looking for More Chocolate Recipes Like This?
Brown Butter Espresso Brownies
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups cane sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tbsp dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp espresso grounds
Making the Brown Butter
- In a medium sauce pan, heat 1 cup of butter over medium high heat. Allow the butter to melt. The butter will start to foam and pop, make sure to stand by it and stir every 30 seconds or so, for about 5-6 minutes. When the butter turns dark amber in color and starts to smell nutty, remove the pan and pour into a bowl.
- Add the 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips to the butter, stirring to combine. Set aside and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
Making Brownies with a Stand Mixer
- In a mixing bowl, add the 3 eggs and 1 1/4 cup of sugar. Whip the eggs and sugar together with the whisk attachment on medium high until the eggs are pale and fluffy. With the mixer running on low, stream the chocolate and butter mixture into the eggs. Then add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- Sift in the 1 cup flour, 3 tbsp cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and 2 tbsp espresso grounds right into the mixing bowl. Fold in with a spatula until just combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased or parchment lined 8x8 baking pan. Bake at 325F for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs on it. Bake around the 45 minute mark for extra soft and gooey brownies!
Making the Brownies Without a Stand Mixer
- In a large bowl, add the 3 eggs and 1/14 cup sugar. Mix by hand with a whisk for 2-3 minutes or until the eggs get pale and fluffy.
- Slowly pour in the cooled chocolate and butter mixture. Add the 1/2 tbsp vanila. Whisk to combine.
- Sift in the 1 cup flour, 3 tbsp cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp salt and 2 tbsp espresso grounds. Fold in with a spatula until just combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased or parchment lined 8x8 baking pan. Bake at 325F for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs on it. Bake around the 45 minute mark for extra soft and gooey brownies!