A classic snickerdoodle cookie recipe with a twist- chocolate snickerdoodle cookies!
They have all the same flavors as a regular snickerdoodle, like the cinnamon sugar and chewy texture, but with lots of cocoa powder for the best chocolate taste. If this is your first time having the chocolate version, you are in for a treat. The best part is the
These chocolate snickerdoodle cookies are so easy and are one of my favorite cookie recipes. They require just basic ingredients and uses lemon juice instead of cream of tartar, so if you don't have that in your pantry, this recipe is for you!!!
Chocolate Snickerdoodle Cookies Ingredients
- Butter- unsalted butter, always at room temperature.
- Sugar- we use a mix of light and dark brown sugar instead of white sugar to make them a super chewy cookie!
- Egg- 1 egg is needed to hold everything together when the cookie bakes!
- Vanilla extract- for an extra bit of flavor
- Flour- this recipe calls for all-purpose flour for the best results
- Cocoa powder- to give our delicious cookies a rich chocolate flavor!
- Lemon juice- a cream of tartar substitutes
- Baking soda- will react with the lemon juice in the oven to help our cookies rise and spread!
- Salt- to bring out the flavor of the chocolate
How To Make This Easy Cookie Recipe
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of flour, ¼ cup of cocoa powder, ½ teaspoon of baking soda, and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Mix to combine and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the room temperature ½ cup of soft butter, ½ cup light brown sugar, and ½ cup dark brown sugar. Mix with the paddle attachment for 1 minute to cream the butter and sugars together.
- With the mixer running on low, add 1 egg and ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix until combined. Scrape down the mixing bowl. Add ¾ teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Add the dry ingredients into the mixer and mix on low just until the flour is combined.
- Place a piece of parchment paper onto a baking tray and scoop the dough with a large cookie scoop onto the tray.
- Place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, make the cinnamon sugar mixture. Add ¼ cup of white sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon to the bowl and mix to combine.
9. Take each cookie dough ball and roll each one in the cinnamon sugar.
10. Bake the cookies at 350 for 13-14 minutes. You won't be able to use the golden brown trick when they are done, but the middle of the cookie will be puffed up when they're done!
11. Remove the tray from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
12. Store the chocolate snickerdoodle cookies in an airtight container to keep them soft and fresh!
Did you love this chocolate snickerdoodle cookie recipe??
I would SO appreciate a comment and rating at the bottom of this post! Also tag me on Instgram @cambreabakes so I can see what you've made!
Chocolate Snickerdoodle Cookies (without cream of tartar)
- ½ cup butter, soft at room temperature
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup dark cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup sugar, for cinnamon sugar mixture
- ½ tsp cinnamon, for cinnamon sugar mixture
- In a medium bowl. Add 1 cup of flour, ¼ cup cocoa powder, ¼ tsp salt, ½ tsp baking soda to the bowl and mix to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add ½ cup of soft butter, ½ cup light brown sugar, and ½ cup dark brown sugar. Cream for 1 minute.
- With the mixer running on low, add 1 egg, ½ tsp vanilla extract, and ¾ tsp lemon juice. Mix until fully combined. Scrape down the mixing bowl.
- Add the bowl of dry ingredients to the mixer and mix on low just until its combined.
- On a parchment lined baking tray, scoop the cookie dough into 8 cookies with a large cookie scoop (about ⅛-1/4 cup). Place in the fridge for 10 minutes while the oven preheats.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the ¼ cup of sugar and ½ tsp cinnamon for rolling the cookies. Then take each cookie ball and roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place back on the baking tray and bake for 13-14 minutes, or until the middle is puffy.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire cooling rack. Cool completely before enjoying.
- Store in an airtight container to keep fresh!