These super easy cheddar jalapeño biscuits with honey butter are absolutely the best and are just waiting to be apart of your next brunch or breakfast!
I had never truly had a fresh from scratch biscuit until I went through pastry school. I still remember the moment we pulled them out of the oven and ate them still warm, with a nice big slab of butter in the middle.
If you've never experienced warm baked biscuit pleasure then you want this recipe right now!
My favorite way to eat these easy cheddar jalapeño biscuits is super warm and brushed with lots of honey butter! Warm them in a toaster oven for a snack or cut them in half and top with an egg and bacon for breakfast! They're also AMAZING alongside a big bowl of chili!
How to Make Homemade Biscuits
- Place 8 tablespoons of butter in the freezer.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, ¾ tsp salt, and 1 tbsp baking powder.
4. Dice the cheddar cheese into small cubes, about ¾ cup, then add to the flour bowl.
5. Dice ½ of a large jalapeño, about ¼ cup, into small pieces and add to the flour bowl as well.
6. Mix to combine the cheese and jalapeño into the flour.
7. Use a cheese grater, grate the butter and mix into the flour. Work it in with you hands. If the butter gets too warm from your hands, place the bowl in the freezer for a few minutes.
8. Add the ⅔ cup cold milk and 1 tbsp honey to the flour bowl and mix to combine.
9. Once the dough starts to come together, turn the dough out onto your counter. Press the dough together so that it forms about 2 inch thick rectangle.
10. Fold the top half of the dough onto the other half. Roll or press the dough back into a rectangle. Fold the dough in half again.
11. Then roll or press out into a 1 inch thick rectangle. Cut into 6 square biscuits. Make sure the cut is clean up and down so that you don't seal the layers you just created!
12. Place on a parchment lined baking tray. Bake for 12 minutes, or until the biscuits are brown on top and bottom.
13. Remove from oven and place on a cooling tray. Then melt 1 tbsp of butter and add 1 tbsp of honey. Mix together, then brush on top of each biscuit.
14. Serve warm!
Frequently Asked Questions for These Easy Cheddar Jalapeño Biscuits
- Can I make these and save them for a different day?
- Absolutely! The best thing to do is mix all the dry ingredients, cheese, and jalapeños together then work in the butter. Keep the biscuit mix in an air tight container in the fridge! When you're feeling like you want some biscuits, just add the milk, and continue with the recipe instructions.
- Do I have to use cheddar?
- Any soft or hard cheese can easily be substituted. Try using Swiss, pepper jack, gruyere, pecorino or freshly shaved parmesan!
- What other flavors can I make instead of this one?
- Cheddar cheese and fresh chive
- Fresh rosemary and pecorino cheese
- Ham and green onion
- Plain butter
- Thyme, parmesan, and prosciutto
- What if I don't have a cheese grate for the butter?
- A food processor can be used to incorporate the butter into the flour. Pulse a few times until the butter is pea sized!
- You can also dice the butter into small cubes, and cut them into the flour with a knife, moving back and forth until the butter is pea sized.
- Does my milk have to be cold?
- YES. You butter AND milk should be as cold as possible. If the butter isn't cold enough, it won't create the steam we need in the oven and the biscuits won't rise!
Did You Love This Recipe??
I would SO appreciate a review! Scroll all the way to the bottom of this post to leave a star rating and a very short review of what you think! I would so appreciate it and it helps me create more recipes like this one!
More Breakfast Recipes
Cheddar Jalapeño Biscuits with Honey Butter
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp honey
- 8 tbsp butter, frozen (half stick)
- ⅔ cup milk, cold
- ¼ cup jalapenos, diced about ½ large jalapeno
- ¾ cup cheddar, diced small
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp butter
- Place 8 tbsp of butter in the freezer. Then preheat the oven to 425.
- In a large bowl combine 2 cups of flour, ¾ tsp salt, and 1 tbsp baking powder.
- Dice ¾ cup of cheddar into small cubes and add to the flour bowl. Dice ½ a large jalapeno and add to the flour bowl as well.
- Using a cheese grater, grate the butter and add it to the flour bowl. Work the butter into the flour with your hands. If the butter starts to get soft, place the bowl in the freezer for a few minutes.
- Pour in the ⅔ cup cold milk and 1 tbsp of honey into the flour mixture and mix until it starts to come together. Then turn out the dough on your counter and flatten it into a rectangle.
- Fold the dough in half over itself and roll or press the dough out again into a rectangle. Fold in half and over itself one more time, then press or roll the dough to a 1 inch thick rectangle.
- Flour a very sharp knife and cut the biscuit into 6 squares. Make sure to do a clean up and down cut to not seal the layers you just created!
- Place the biscuits on a baking tray and bake for 12 minutes, or until the tops and bottom are brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack. Meanwhile, add 1 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of honey in a bowl and melt to combine. Brush the tops of each biscuit well with the honey butter.
- Serve warm!