Get your tequila bottle ready (I know you have at least one) for the BEST homemade spicy cucumber jalapeño margaritas!!
The most beautiful part of a good margarita is the fact that they're good YEAR ROUND. I really don't think there is a wrong time to enjoy one!! They can be spruced up for ANY occasion and really mend well with so many different flavors!!
I was off tequila for SO long (like 5 years- thanks college freshman me!!!) And now that I'm finally back on it, give me all the margaritas and nothing else.
These margaritas are incredibly easy! I hate the word "skinny" but that's totally the perfect word to describe these. Mixed with the best margarita mix, muddled cucumber, jalapeño, and fresh mint. They're super light and perfectly refreshing.
The Super Easy Ingredient List
- Tequila- we definitely need to talk about this one, you should always make a margarita with a high quality tequila! Continue to the next section on what brands and tequila type I recommend.
- Cucumbers- I have made these with both English and regular cucumbers and they're delicious either way! The regular cucumbers are easier to muddle but that's the only difference.
- Jalapeño pepper- the green kind, to be exact. Seeds are optional, although this is a spicy margarita so throw a couple of those babies in at least 😉
- Tonic water- this will be the 'bulk' of the margarita!
- Sweet and sour/margarita mix- I always buy Tres Agaves Organic Margarita Mix because its the BEST! You can also sub a splash or orange juice, that is my go-to when I don't have any mix laying around!
- Mint- The fresh mint just makes it...FRESH.
- Agave- optional, but necessary for that touch of sweetness you need in a margarita, especially a spicy one.
- Ice!- you can't drink a warm margarita!! On the rocks is my preferred choice, although frozen is always a good idea.
Choosing the Best Type of Tequila
If you aren't used to buying tequila, going to the store can be overwhelming. Luckily for you (and me) my dad is a tequila connoisseur! He has taught me everything I know about good tequila and these are some of my favorite brands you can get at almost any store to make the best margarita:
Typically you want a blanco when using it for margarita or mixed drink purposes. Reposado's are meant for sipping or drinking straight, as it is aged and has a wonderful oaky or vanilla flavor! Either way, your cucumber jalapeño margaritas will be PERFECT.
How to Make the Spicy Cucumber Jalapeño Margaritas
- To make one drink, slice 4 pieces of cucumber and 2-3 slices of jalapeno pepper and add them to a mortar and pestle bowl. Muddle both until mushy and add to a cocktail shaker cup.
- Add ½-1 cup of margarita mix to the shaker cup.
- Add a splash of margarita mix or orange juice. Optional; squirt 1-2 seconds of agave into the cup.
- Add 2 shots of tequila and a large handful of ice.
- Shake the margarita mix, muddled cucumber, jalapeno, agave, tequila, and ice until well combined.
- Pour the margarita into your glass, garnish with slices of cucumber and lots of fresh mint.
Spicy Cucumber Jalapeno Margaritas
- 4 slices cucumber or english cucumber
- 2-3 slices jalapeno pepper
- 1-2 seconds squirt of agave
- ½-1 cup margarita mix or orange juice
- 2 shots tequila
- fresh mint, to garnish
- Slice the cucumbers and jalapeno peppers and add them to a mortar and pestle bowl. Muddle both of them until mushy and add it to a cocktail shaker cup or separate glass.
- Add the agave, orange juice or margarita mix, tequila and ice with the cucumber and jalapeno. Shake to combine.
- Pour into a glass and top with fresh mint, extra cucumber slices and jalapeno, enjoy!