My favorite part of enjoying brioche bread is always the brioche French toast!
Sometimes I even let the bread stale out on purpose just so it gives me an excuse to make some. This brûléed French toast is the best for breakfast, brunch, lunch, snack, dinner, basically any time is a good time!
How To Make French Toast with Brioche Bread
The French toast process is incredibly easy and only requires a few staple ingredients.
- Brioche bread- you can't make brioche French toast without the brioche bread!!! thicker slices are preferable for extra fluffy toast.
- Eggs- will be part of the base of the 'custard' the bread slices get soaked in.
- Vanilla- vanilla extract will give our custard the best vanilla flavor!
- Heavy cream- the second part of our custard base, its used to lighten the egg up.
- Dark Brown Sugar- sprinkled on the pan and on the brioche that creates our bruleed crust!
You can buy your brioche bread, my personal store bought favorite is Trader Joes brioche. Or you can make your own brioche bread with this super easy how-to recipe!!
How to Create the Bruleed Crust
Sprinkling the brioche bread with the brown sugar is what is going to give us our bruleed French toast crust!
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add 1/2 tbsp of butter to the pan and let it melt. Swirl the butter around the hot pan for even coverage.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tbsp of brown sugar in the pan and then place the soaked bread slice on top. Turn the heat down slightly so that the sugar continues to melt and caramelize but doesn't burn! Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the toast is golden brown and the sugar is caramelized.
- Sprinkle the other half of the brown sugar on top of the brioche bread. Flip the toast and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately. Top with a dusting of powdered sugar and maple syrup!
Looking for more delicious breakfast recipes?
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5-6 slices of thick brioche bread
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 5-6 tbsp dark brown sugar
- powdered sugar to top
- maple syrup to top
- Whisk the egg, cream, and vanilla together in a medium size bowl.
- Slice the brioche bread in thick slices.
- Put a medium sized saute pan over medium heat. Add the butter to the pan and let melt. Swirl aroud to cover the pan completely.
- Sprinkled 1/2 tablespoon of sugar into the pan. While the sugar starts to melt, dip one of the bricohe slices in the custard so it coats both sides.
- Lay the brioche on top of the melting sugar. Turn the heat down slightly so that the sugar caramelizes but doesn't burn. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle the top side with the other 1/2 tablespoon of sugar. When the toast is golden brown and caramelized, flip the toast.
- Cook for another 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and top with powdered sugar and maple syrup and serve immediately!